×
Elegant young woman standing near a storefront

Elegant young woman standing near a storefront

We have got to change our ethics and our financial system and our whole way of understanding the world. It has to be a world in which people live rather than die; a sustainable world. It could be great. You can hide so much behind theatrics, and I don't need to do that any more. I love things that age well - things that don't date, that stand the test of time and that become living examples of the absolute best. I love you if you love me. I love a black wedding dress.

I can design a collection in a day and I always do, cause I've always got a load of Italians on my back, moaning that it's late. Fashion is made to become unfashionable. The difference between style and fashion is quality. Dressing is a way of life. Doing collections, doing fashion is like a non-stop dialogue.

I believe that my clothes can give people a better image of themselves - that it can increase their feelings of confidence and happiness. Fashion to me has become very disposable; I wanted to get back to craft, to clothes that could last. It should be natural, and that's how I like women to look. I like them to feel comfortable and look organic. In a meat-eating world, wearing leather for shoes and clothes and even handbags, the discussion of fur is childish. I don't care about money. I really don't care. I just want to do what I do.

I remember walking the dog one day, I saw a car full of teenage girls, and one of them rolled down the window and yelled, 'Marc Jacobs!' in a French accent. If you wear clothes that don't suit you, you're a fashion victim. You have to wear clothes that make you look better. It pains me physically to see a woman victimized, rendered pathetic, by fashion. I don't try to be in fashion; I don't try to follow trends. You just end up out of fashion that way. There has to be a balance between your mental satisfaction and the financial needs of your company.

Fashion is always of the time in which you live. It is not something standing alone. But the grand problem, the most important problem, is to rejeuvenate women. To make women look young. Then their outlook changes. They feel more joyous. My job is to bring out in people what they wouldn't dare do themselves. I was the first person to have a punk rock hairstyle. I've always tried to push myself technically and to push myself visually. That's been part of the journey. I sometimes feel that a pattern is almost a fashion statement in itself.

Never in my wildest dreams did I entertain the idea that I would become a fashion designer. A woman is never sexier than when she is comfortable in her clothes. I'm used to always deciding everything myself. It's a blessing, but also a terrible defect. I have an obsession with details and pattern. Fashion moves so quickly that, unless you have a strong point of view, you can lose integrity.

No comments