×
Three girls with beautiful hair in maxi dresses

Three girls with beautiful hair in maxi dresses

I am especially grateful that I have been able to keep my own style over the decades, in spite of the many changes that have taken place in the world of fashion and in its business. I've treated the waistcoat as if it were a corset, so that it becomes the first layer in the process of putting clothes on the body. There is constant motion between layering and revealing. Every day I'm thinking about change. There are always protests, whether you do something good or bad. Even if you do something beneficial, people say you do it because it's advertising. I like things simple.

Men have got more of a discerning eye. They appreciate cut and details, things that aren't so obvious. They like things that have cachet and gentlemanliness. I don't really know how to do casual clothes. If you wear clothes that don't suit you, you're a fashion victim. You have to wear clothes that make you look better. I wish I had invented blue jeans. They have expression, modesty, sex appeal, simplicity - all I hope for in my clothes. I would like the people that buy my clothes to understand that for me it's one small piece of art.

Nostalgia is a very complicated subject for me. I'm attracted by nostalgia but I refuse it intellectually. In a meat-eating world, wearing leather for shoes and clothes and even handbags, the discussion of fur is childish. The difference between style and fashion is quality. I am not interested in shock tactics. I just want to make beautiful clothes. I get ideas about what's essential when packing my suitcase.


I have a fantastic relationship with money. I use it to buy my freedom. I have an obsession with details and pattern. If I had the power, I would ban leggings. I am like a freight train. Working on the details, twisting them and playing with them over the years, but always staying on the same track. I would like to be a one-man multinational fashion phenomenon.

I adore the challenge of creating truly modern clothes, where a woman's personality and sense of self are revealed. I want people to see the dress, but focus on the woman. My job is to bring out in people what they wouldn't dare do themselves. I don't really know how to do casual clothes. I love things that age well - things that don't date, that stand the test of time and that become living examples of the absolute best. I don't try to be in fashion; I don't try to follow trends. You just end up out of fashion that way.

My aim is to make the poor look rich and the rich look poor. Fashion is always of the time in which you live. It is not something standing alone. But the grand problem, the most important problem, is to rejeuvenate women. To make women look young. Then their outlook changes. They feel more joyous. For me, the summer will be pure gray - mother-of-pearl gray, very pale gray. To me, this is the big statement for summer. Then we have light blue, light turquoise, lots of pink. What I hate is nasty, ugly people. If I had the power, I would ban leggings.

No comments