×
15 Female Wanderers & Explorers You Should Know

15 Female Wanderers & Explorers You Should Know

My job is to bring out in people what they wouldn't dare do themselves. I am not interested in shock tactics. I just want to make beautiful clothes. People said making clothes inside out was not proper. I disagreed, because clothes that are inside out are as beautiful as a cathedral. I try to contrast; life today is full of contrast... We have to change. There are only three things I can do - make a dress, decorate a house, and entertain people.

Design and style should work toward making you look good and feel good without a lot of effort so you can get on with the things that matter. I don't like trends. They tend to make everybody look the same. I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style. In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different. An evening dress that reveals a woman's ankles while walking is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen.

A lot of self-importance goes on in the fashion industry. I'm not like that. For me, the summer will be pure gray - mother-of-pearl gray, very pale gray. To me, this is the big statement for summer. Then we have light blue, light turquoise, lots of pink. I try to contrast; life today is full of contrast... We have to change. It's useless to send models out on the runway to cry. My dresses are very reasonably priced, for dresses that are cut on the body.


I have my favourite fashion decade, yes, yes, yes: '60s. It was a sort of little revolution; the clothes were amazing but not too exaggerated. I didn't want to be a fashion designer, and for a good half of my career I didn't like it. I always wanted to do other things. Awkwardness gives me great comfort. I've never been cool, but I've felt cool. I've been in the cool place, but I wasn't really cool - I was trying to pass for hip or cool. It's the awkwardness that's nice. I think I'd go mad if I didn't have a place to escape to. Everything I do is a matter of heart, body and soul.

My dresses are very reasonably priced, for dresses that are cut on the body. It pains me physically to see a woman victimized, rendered pathetic, by fashion. I'm an accomplice to helping women get what they want. I love to design things that people can actually buy. I'm staggered by what a boot costs today. I think there is something about luxury - it's not something people need, but it's what they want. It really pulls at their heart.

In a meat-eating world, wearing leather for shoes and clothes and even handbags, the discussion of fur is childish. There is always an emotional element to anything that you make. The key to my collections is sensuality. Clothes can transform your mood and confidence. I never look at other people's work. My mind has to be completely focused on my own illusions.

No comments